Sunday, May 22, 2011

making friends with my guitar

The first time I picked up the guitar was about 20 years ago when my choir director at Church taught me some chords and encouraged me to play along in the choir. On one of my trips to Mexico, my mom bought me a hand-made guitar in Paracho, Michoacan, a small town in Mexico famous for guitar-making. I played my guitar for a few years in the choir and at some point we grew apart.
As part of one of my College requirements I had to take piano and guitar. My voice always was the easiest instrument for me, and although I had the potential to master these 2 instruments, I was very lazy and did not put much effort into it.
Since then, the guitar was forgotten and as my career in music as a vocalist began, the two of us grew distant...

One of the most important things I mentioned in the beginning of this blog, was the realization that I could no longer rely on others to help me fulfill my dreams and aspirations. This includes the writing/composing of my songs, my self-image, and also being able to accompany myself while singing at shows.

So, it called me. I decided to listen to the voice inside my head and I took the guitar out of its case. It was like reuniting with a long lost friend. I had to stop all of the negative thoughts that told me I couldn't do it, and I just started playing it again. It felt good. Well, it hurt a lot...my fingers I mean. You have to build calluses on your fingers so that the pressing of the chords stops hurting after a while.
I had constant pain on my wrist, but I took breaks and didn't let it get in the way.

I was focused and determined to lose the fear and the insecurity of not being a guitarrist. The much dreaded bar chords keep haunting me, but I decided that no matter what I did or no matter how long it took, I would master the damn "F" chord. Ok, now I am friends with the "F" chord. It took a while, but the more I play it, the better I get.

This is the first step. I am working on singing and playing some covers as well as some of my original songs. These are new songs that no one has heard before and I am very excited about putting a show together soon.

I am getting more confident playing and singing. I have a long way to go, but I promise that you will like the results if you stick around.
Now I'm obsessed with my friend, my guitar. Maybe I should name her/him...hmmm


No comments:

Post a Comment